Thursday, January 21, 2010

Releasing the Demon

Another day at Read to Succeed; what a drag! I’ve been coming here for two years now and I don’t see the end. What keeps me coming back are the teachers and tutors. They are always ready with knowledge, wisdom, encouragement, advice and help.

It does not matter what kind of mood you’re in. They always find a way to make you feel better, either by listening to you “whine” or giving you a hug or some advice. To me, Read to Succeed is not just a school. It's also a family.

I don’t believe people truly understand the importance of this program and what is does for its students. I have seen people come in who are very timid when they start the program. They probably feel that they are alone with their past failures and disappointments. I know I felt that way too.

The staff and students at Read to Succeed made me feel at home and very welcome. Although it’s a lot of work and time commitment, the success I have achieved has helped to build my confidence. I’m trying things now that I would never do before. I will get up in front of a group and read. I even share all the poems and stories that I have written. I take tests for different jobs that I would never dare to do two years ago.

I hope to use these skills that I been learning to my advantage and maybe help somebody that has trouble reading. I can be a mentor to them. I might even become a volunteer myself some day.

I ask myself, "Why not share this fortune I have found with as many people as possible?" It may release a lot of people from their demon of failure.


JM
9/09

No comments:

Post a Comment